Little is recorded about the Perdue Manufacturing Company founded in Athens, Georgia. The company began as Perry Brothers Manufacturing, a shirt manufacturer, in approximately 1940. The company’s name was changed as of 1947 to Perdue Manufacturing Company. They vacated their location at 269-271 N. Hull St. between 1990 and 1992 and were formally listed as inactive as of August 1996.
Perdue Manufacturing Company was a part of the textile manufacturing business that thrived in Georgia throughout the World War II era. Throughout the state, textile manufacturers rose to the challenge of producing fabric and textiles for the war effort. Perdue Manufacturing was no exception, producing materials for the Air Force and other military branches.
According to the materials, Perdue Manufacturing Company was owned by the Perry family, including E. George Perry, A.H. Perry, and G.H. Perry. They operated branches in multiple locations, including Winder, Georgia. The company did not just produce military textiles, but produced other items like shirts, their original product as noted by their original designation as “shirt manufacturer,” cloth diapers, bandages, and other household materials. They were most known for their snap-on diapers. The company distributed their products to diaper services, hospitals, and retailers such as JC Penney, Sears and Roebucks, and McRaes.