Charles A. Rowland IV (1942-2005) was a prominent member of the Athens community who collected information about Athens and its people. Rowland was born in Pensacola, Florida in 1942 and his family moved to Athens before he attended high school. He was a graduate of Athens High School and obtained a degree from the University of Georgia. Mr. Rowland worked on historical preservation projects at the University of Georgia and assisted professors at the Center for Continuing Education. Later, he ran an antiques and preservation business.
Mr. Rowland participated in conservation and preservation efforts with several organizations in the Athens community. Mr. Rowland served on the Athens-Clarke County Historic Preservation Commission and was involved in such organizations as the Friends of Five Points, The Five Points Neighborhood Association, the Athens Historical Society, and the Clarke County Democratic Committee. He also served as Assistant Director of the Charleston Museum in Charleston, South Carolina, and wrote a column on antiques for the Athens Banner-Herald.
Mr. Rowland died in 2006 and is buried in Oconee Hill Cemetery in Athens. He was survived by his wife Lucy Rowland, his daughter Price Wright, his son William Rowland, and two granddaughters.
Judge James Dowse (J.D.) Bradwell was Mr. Rowland’s grandfather. Born in Liberty County, Georgia in 1877, he earned his law degree from the University of Georgia. During his time in Athens, he served as judge of the city court; county attorney for the Home Owner’s Loan Corporation, a Depression-era Federal agency; legal advisor of the Athens Housing Authority; and lecturer at the University of Georgia School of Law. He died in Athens in 1940 and is buried in Oconee Hill Cemetery.