The City of Athens, incorporated in 1806, has had a police force in some form since that date. The police kept records of arrests and case numbers in large bound dockets. From 1806 to 1847, the City of Athens had a group of three to seven men who enforced the law. In 1847, the city changed its enforcement system to one consisting of a head official and wardens elected by the population. The city also instituted town marshals who made sure citizens obeyed the rules set out by the city council. In 1881, a three-man police force was formed comprising a chief, a lieutenant, and a sergeant. By 1899, the department consisted of a chief and six patrolmen; as of 1904, the force consisted of a chief, lieutenant, sergeant, and twelve patrolmen. A city detective joined the force by 1914 and motorcycle patrolmen were introduced in 1923.