Formally organized in January of 1899, the Athens Ladies Club met monthly with Mrs. Frank Lipscomb presiding. The group initially worked with the General Federation of Women's Clubs in encouraging rural committees to build model schools, with the Tallulah Falls School (Tallulah Falls, Georgia) as an example of one such school. The Athens Ladies Club also awarded scholarships and raised funds for various causes.
A headquarters was secured at 248 Prince Avenue, Athens, Georgia, that became known as the Joseph Henry Lumpkin House. The publication of the Athens Womens Club cookbook helped to finance the headquarters. Other projects undertaken by the group through the years included the Child Health Demonstration 1925-1930, kindergartens, curb market project, the establishment of the Athens Regional Library, cancer education programs with the American Cancer Society, the assistance in public school integration, and raising both awareness and funds for the Red Cross.